Friday, April 11, 2008

Our 24 and 28 week ultrasound

I had my 23/24 week ultrasound on March 12th and my 27/28 week ultrasound today!

At 23/24 weeks, it appeared that everything was going smoothly with the twins! We couldn't be more pleased! The twins were over 1 pound each and were thriving (and active as usual). Baby A is still a little bigger at Baby B (Baby A is 500 g and Baby B is 570 g). At 24 weeks, they also have a 44% of survival if they decided to make their appearance prematurely. I haven't gained too much weight at this point, which is good, although I'm eating all the time! I guess pregnancy agrees with me, although I have to say, the increasing aches and pains are starting to get to me. And I can't say that you get used to it either! This ultrasound took 90 minutes to complete and our technician, Danika, measured every single part of their body! Here are a couple pictures. Baby A is on the left (profile). Baby B is on the right (looking into the camera).



Today, we had our 27/28 week ultrasound. We need to have an ultrasound every four weeks as our OB needs to ensure that they're growing on target. Right now, if they were born, we know they'd be small but they would survive, so we're feeling really good!

We visited our regular ultrasound technician Danika and watched eagerly as she measured our babies again. This time, she performed a gestational apgar test on them to see how they were physically doing inside the womb. She gave them both perfect scores based on their growth, lung movement, cord blood circulation, and fetal movement. She also checked to see whether they were sucking in amniotic fluid (which they were, apparently a very good sign). Right now, they're over 2 pounds each! Baby A is 2.16 lbs and Baby B is 2.32 lbs. And both babies are still head down! The countdown is on!

No comments: