Tuesday, May 27, 2008

How things change ...

Last week, at 33 weeks, I went to see my OB for my routine visit. Turns out, my suspicions were correct. At 32 week ultrasound, both babies were measuring a little on the "small" side. Their head-to-tummy ratios were slightly off. She told us not to worry and that the issue was very minor, but that she'd be monitoring them over the next 1-2 weeks to see if the issue corrected itself. She also told us that if she wasn't happy with our 34 week results, that she'd consider taking em out this week! So, it goes without saying that we were totally surprised to hear the news.

I had my 34 week ultrasound yesterday and I was not too thrilled with the results. The babies are still happy and healthy, which is what's most important. They scored perfect on their gestational apgar tests so they're doing great, but they're still measuring small for 34 weeks. They should have been well over 4 lbs at this stage so I was a bit bummed ...

Baby A gained 60 grams in two weeks and is currently 3 lbs 7 oz
Baby B gained 200 grams in two weeks and is currentl 3 lbs 14 oz


I'm not sure why this is happening. Baby B may be stealing more nutrients from Baby A. There may be an issue with my placenta's. It could also be that I am running out of room, as I am quite petite to be carrying twins. Either way, it's frustrating ...

Our technician told us not to worry. She told us that a 60 gram weight gain is better than no weight gain at all for Baby A and that if she was worried, she'd be sending me straight to the hospital. So I'm taking comfort in that, but it's a waiting game now. I thought I may hear something from my OB today, but I didn't. That could mean a number of things, so I'm not about to speculate what my OB will ultimately do. What I do know is that she's going to act in their best interest. That means they'll either come out this week or stay inside of me for a little longer. If I don't hear from my OB this week, I am seeing her on Monday. While I wait, I am mentally and physically preparing to head to the hospital on a moment's notice.

No one wants to see their babies in NICU, hooked up to endless wires and tubes. No one wants to go home from the hospital empty handed. I will fully admit that a big part of my worry stems them being stuck in the hospital, even though I know they will be in good hands. It's just not what I envisioned for them (even though I was fully aware that with twins, anything is possible). So if you have a moment, please think positively for our precious beauties. I am praying that they will continue to thrive this week, whether on the inside or on the outside, and that everything works itself out as it should.

No comments: